Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Julianna Okumura

How the manga scarred me for life (spoilers)

Ok, today I went through a traumatizing experience. I went to the bookstore looking for new manga titles to read and I saw the Sailor Moon manga, and was like hey cool, more Sailor Moon manga! I looked through the latest volume and I almost puked. Since I'm too teaumatized to tell exactly what happened, I'll put it like this: a middle school girl should not have a (very,very,very) intimate relationship with a college student.

I'll let you pt the pieces of the puzzle together.

One question about that: where the hell is Usagi's parents?! Do they know what they're daughter is doing?! I know she had Chibi Usa in the future but if Sailor Moon keeps up like this she is going to be on the show Teen Moms (is that show still on?)

I'm pretty disgusted and I doubt I'll read the manga now, but the anime is still ok. The Dubbed version is more censored. (Thank God)

Rant, done.

Funny thing I was like yesterday man what goes through these Japanese people

But still some anime are really good

I still like that manga better >.> End story.

Ummmm no!

This is beyond manga. This is just.......not ok! Some of these Japanese people are insane! I'm just sticking to the anime, I'm going to need therapy now

Lol I havent read it yet, I guess I will come to it eventually. Havnt you noticed similar in the previous sailor moon mangas you read?

Japan is known for being totally cool with "intimate" stuff. If you watch ACTUAL children's anime in Japan, there are times when you see a naked person (censored, but implied), and baths, including mixed ones. It's not a big deal in Japan really.

As for the Sailor Moon manga, it was NOT meant for kids, it was meant for ages 16+ I think, where these things are more... understood so to say. And in the manga, Usagi could've been a third year or second year in high school for all we know, and a relationship with a university/ College student isn't out of the norm. (I don't know her age because I haven't gotten to this part (aka, Sailor Sun's fault for not letting her read her collection.))

Plus face it, kids are having sex from (and maybe earlier) 8th grade, so... yeah. This kind of stuff in manga and anime is COMPLETELY normal.

Japan is known for being totally cool with "intimate" stuff. If you watch ACTUAL children's anime in Japan, there are times when you see a naked person (censored, but implied), and baths, including mixed ones. It's not a big deal in Japan really.

As for the Sailor Moon manga, it was NOT meant for kids, it was meant for ages 16+ I think, where these things are more... understood so to say. And in the manga, Usagi could've been a third year or second year in high school for all we know, and a relationship with a university/ College student isn't out of the norm. (I don't know her age because I haven't gotten to this part (aka, Sailor Sun's fault for not letting her read her collection.))

Plus face it, kids are having sex from (and maybe earlier) 8th grade, so... yeah. This kind of stuff in manga and anime is COMPLETELY normal.

Well said :P

Actually there's only a 4 or 5 year age difference which really isn't that creepy at all. I don't know which book this takes place in but, there has been implied intimacy before this I'm sure. And yeah, the manga does say 13+ right on the back for a reason.

Side note however: Why do her parents never seem to care who she's with or what she's doing with them?

Side note however: Why do her parents never seem to care who she's with or what she's doing with them?

Anime/Manga If they did then there would be no story plus in the anime the dads not even there after the first season

Anime/Manga If they did then there would be no story plus in the anime the dads not even there after the first season

again parents are swiped out from movies/anime/manga.

But some Japanese anime makers make some anime which are quite disturbing.

I'm pretty sure the dad WAS in the first season (Usagi's dad), but he didn't appear much. And he was EXTERMLEY mad and suspicous of Mamoru (In a funny sort of way) when he found out that Usagi was in love (Even though at the time he didn't even know who it was and Usagi didn't know that Mamoru was Tuxedo Kamen.)

I'm just saying since Sailor moon is in middle school or early high school, there's almost (this is an estimate) a ten year difference between the two. That shouldn't be normal.

Actually there's only a three year difference between them :) When she was in eighth grade, he was in eleventh. Also remember that the culture in Japan is different, and although they are much more polite and respectful in their society as a part of their culture, they also are very open with each other when it comes to things like this! For example back in high school, one of the girls I know went on exchange for a month where the host family took her to hot springs! Her and the whole family sat in the hot springs completely naked besides wearing a towel and for them it was totally normal. Its just a different culture :)

And really, if you were reading the last book of the manga, they are already in their 20's by then! And the first time it is implied that they slept together was when she was already in highschool.

Considering both these factors and that its really targeted for teens, not kids, I think that its perfectly normal and natural! It shows the true intimacy between them in a beautiful loving not purely sexual way as it should be. :)

Actually there's only a three year difference between them :) When she was in eighth grade, he was in eleventh. Also remember that the culture in Japan is different, and although they are much more polite and respectful in their society as a part of their culture, they also are very open with each other when it comes to things like this! For example back in high school, one of the girls I know went on exchange for a month where the host family took her to hot springs! Her and the whole family sat in the hot springs completely naked besides wearing a towel and for them it was totally normal. Its just a different culture :)

And really, if you were reading the last book of the manga, they are already in their 20's by then! And the first time it is implied that they slept together was when she was already in highschool.

Considering both these factors and that its really targeted for teens, not kids, I think that its perfectly normal and natural! It shows the true intimacy between them in a beautiful loving not purely sexual way as it should be. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Well to be honest, is it really that weird to be intimate with someone you were destined to be with in the first place, and has been proven to them multiple times? The manga is completely different from the anime,and was definitely directed more toward children, because for some reason, in the nineties, that's just how it went. Well...for a good amount of super popular shows anyway...heh. 

Beyond that, the manga is really worth a read, and honestly, that kind of thing happens...I think maybe..twice? They don't even last very many pages. Besides, even in the anime there was a pretty big age difference, and it was shoved down your throat that they were in love to begin with. 

The original anime didn't even need to be censored that much, really, it was just Americans being stupid and directing it toward children, because all "cartoons" are for children...Even though, the anime wasn't even that bad in comparison to the original manga (which still isn't that bad, but definitely not directed toward children...)

So in the end, I still say to take a chance on the manga. It's the way the story should have been told to begin with, and if you're going to be watching Crystal, that's the story your'e gonna get. 

In the manga, Mamoru is much younger, almost Usagi's age. In my fanfics, I narrowed the age-gap between Nephrite and Naru somewhat - when Nephrite and Naru met, Naru was three months or so from turning fifteen, and Nephrite had just turned nineteen. His voice is deeper and he looks older than he is because he was raised in the Dark Kingdom