Photo

A petition to Viz Media and Toei Animation regarding the new Japanese HD masters

sailor moon viz toei blu-ray HD DVD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Flash Over

Flash Over

Moonie

• Members
  • 9 posts
Current mood: None chosen

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

I understand that this may seem petty, however, we've received the short end with our beloved franchise for far too long, and this is just the icing on the turd cake. 

If you agree with my argument, please, sign the petition, include your thoughts, and pass along to every friend and/or peer that you know is a Sailor Moon fan. We've put up with BS for far too long. We shouldn't be deprived of getting the very best just because we don't live in Japan. We can do this :)!

SMComparison.jpg

#2 Zero

Zero

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Current mood: Roflmao

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Wow toei's is soo much better

SMComparison.jpg

Posted Image

#3 SanjouinDaCapo

SanjouinDaCapo

Moonie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Current mood: Tired

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Both pictures look nice, really. And you really want them to postpone Sailor Moon some more? We've already been cheated out of Stars Once; let's not repeat history. We've waited far too long for this.

And if I sound a little grumpy, it's because problems like this seem rather first-world to me. I never had an HD tv - I usually just settled for a small one that I could smuggle into my room as a kid and then years later, I got a small TV which fits its purpose rather nicely since I can play old video games on it.

Mind you, I was in a car accident last year that could've killed me. Instead, I walked away without a scratch. I'm also 34 years old. This gives me somewhat of a right to be a grouch.

Honestly, we're getting Sailor Moon, and we'll be getting Stars as well finally. A few compression issues that could only really be noticed if you freeze the frames are rather small potatoes considering we are finally getting the entire series and it's not being dumbed down to a kiddie cartoon.

• EliseAyumu likes this

#4 SailorVenus

SailorVenus

Comsic Moonie Power

• Members
  • 238 posts

Current mood: Bashful

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

I actually don't really care for that because we are getting a good dub

#5 SanjouinDaCapo

SanjouinDaCapo

Moonie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

I actually don't really care for that because we are getting a good dub

True dat! I really think that things like a picture not appearing 100% perfect on an HD screen are first-world problems. I've never had an HD tv, and the only flat screen monitors we have at my place are computer monitors. I've also never used TiVo or Pay-Per-View, and Cable has always been a rare treat for me, sorta like internet before like, 2000 or so. I know I'm gonna sound like an old grouch here, but honestly, you kids don't appreciate all the things you've got.

Try to appreciate the fact that you're getting a proper dub of Sailor Moon after all these years of DiC and Cloverway. No more kissing cousins. No more heteronormative censoring. No censoring of violence and nudity. And we're FINALLY getting Stars! Count your blessings. I learned to after getting rear-ended in 2008, losing my last grandparent a couple years ago, and then last year hitting a truck that made an unsafe turn in front of me and walking away from that accident without a scratch.

#6 Sailor Mulan

Sailor Mulan

Prism Moonie Power

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Current mood: Happy

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:09 AM

I think we should just appreciate that Sailor Moon has now got a worthy dub. We could have been stuck with all that DiC/CWI crap but instead we get a new dub. If you ask me, the quality isn't that bad

TFVyXBg.jpgfWkXLEE.gif

#7 Flash Over

Flash Over

Moonie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Both pictures look nice, really. And you really want them to postpone Sailor Moon some more? We've already been cheated out of Stars Once; let's not repeat history. We've waited far too long for this.

And if I sound a little grumpy, it's because problems like this seem rather first-world to me. I never had an HD tv - I usually just settled for a small one that I could smuggle into my room as a kid and then years later, I got a small TV which fits its purpose rather nicely since I can play old video games on it.

Mind you, I was in a car accident last year that could've killed me. Instead, I walked away without a scratch. I'm also 34 years old. This gives me somewhat of a right to be a grouch.

This petition is more from a moral standpoint. It'd be different if they'd honestly address their screw-ups, but instead they still deny legitimate arguments and act as if their customers are idiots. That being said, you don't own an HDTV, so of course you aren't seeing the problem. 90% of people have an HDTV, and the problems are so obvious. Not only that, but the image isn't really HD. At all. The DVDs look identical, and the details should be vastly different. Yes, it's first world, but we've been screwed over one too many times. 

I'm sorry that you were in a car accident, however that, and being 34 are not an excuse for being a grouch. If anything, you should be grateful that you've made it to see 34 years old :)

#8 Zero

Zero

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,893 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Current mood: Roflmao

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

My thing is that VIZ does not have rights to source videos while Toei does, so I understand why VIZ does not have a better version.

Anyways VIZ dub is not bad the only thing is that it is less HD and DIC/CW dub was awesome screw you haters :D

Posted Image

#9 SanjouinDaCapo

SanjouinDaCapo

Moonie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

This petition is more from a moral standpoint. It'd be different if they'd honestly address their screw-ups, but instead they still deny legitimate arguments and act as if their customers are idiots. That being said, you don't own an HDTV, so of course you aren't seeing the problem. 90% of people have an HDTV, and the problems are so obvious. Not only that, but the image isn't really HD. At all. The DVDs look identical, and the details should be vastly different. Yes, it's first world, but we've been screwed over one too many times. 

I'm sorry that you were in a car accident, however that, and being 34 are not an excuse for being a grouch. If anything, you should be grateful that you've made it to see 34 years old :)

I'm joking about how being 34 gives me somewhat the right to be a grouch. People seem to think that over 30 = old. Old people are stereotyped as grouchy, though I've seen a lot of seniors who are quite sweet and friendly. The car accidents I had are not my reason for being grouchy though. I'm just kinda jaded and grumpy at times. The accidents just made me see a lot of things in a different perspective and realize that I've got a lot of great stuff, along with being still alive and still being able to do things like walk, run, feed myself, play video games, and type.

So yeah, I'm a bit on the grouchy side, but I still appreciate what ViZ did with their Sailor Moon dub. I mean, they didn't give Kunzite the best dub voice (I wish they could have hired Avery Brooks, aka Captain Benjamin Sisko from Star Trek: DS9, to play him) but still, Patrick Seitz has a pretty good voice. And Zoisite and Nephrite's voices were very appropriate. I also wish Nephrite had a sort of younger voice, but he still sounds good. Remember to count your blessings.

As for a 'moral' standpoint, I think there's no real 'moral' issue with this. We have a properly-dubbed Sailor Moon, the voices are almost perfect, and it's much better than the DiC dub. We really aren't being screwed over with this, in my opinion. I hope I am not offending you.

• Flash Over likes this

#10 Flash Over

Flash Over

Moonie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

I'm joking about how being 34 gives me somewhat the right to be a grouch. People seem to think that over 30 = old. Old people are stereotyped as grouchy, though I've seen a lot of seniors who are quite sweet and friendly. The car accidents I had are not my reason for being grouchy though. I'm just kinda jaded and grumpy at times. The accidents just made me see a lot of things in a different perspective and realize that I've got a lot of great stuff, along with being still alive and still being able to do things like walk, run, feed myself, play video games, and type.

So yeah, I'm a bit on the grouchy side, but I still appreciate what ViZ did with their Sailor Moon dub. I mean, they didn't give Kunzite the best dub voice (I wish they could have hired Avery Brooks, aka Captain Benjamin Sisko from Star Trek: DS9, to play him) but still, Patrick Seitz has a pretty good voice. And Zoisite and Nephrite's voices were very appropriate. I also wish Nephrite had a sort of younger voice, but he still sounds good. Remember to count your blessings.

As for a 'moral' standpoint, I think there's no real 'moral' issue with this. We have a properly-dubbed Sailor Moon, the voices are almost perfect, and it's much better than the DiC dub. We really aren't being screwed over with this, in my opinion. I hope I am not offending you.

No offense taken at all! I think that Viz's dub is amazing! It's pretty much the only reason I'm buying these sets lol.

I just don't think that they should be slapping a product on Blu-Ray when they are lying about the image being HD. They should totally keep releasing it on DVD, but hold off on Blu-Ray releases until they get this legitimate HD master. As said, it's very first-world, but it hurts to see a scene where Usagi is walking in the rain, and all of the rain that is supposed to be visible is gone because of a terrible DNR job.

#11 SanjouinDaCapo

SanjouinDaCapo

Moonie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Favourite Scout:

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

I understand that completely. I likely won't get the blu-ray, but I definitely want to get the DVD series sometime soon. That is, if my ebay item-flipping starts making me a lot of money. I LOVE the new Nephrite's voice, and it would be awesome to watch my favourite episode any time I want. And of course cry when Nephrite sacrifices himself to save Naru *sniffle*

#12 Flash Over

Flash Over

Moonie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

I guess the petition wasn't needed. It appears that Madman have been forced to put their releases on hold, and since Viz have yet to make any announcements about R Part 1 (they said that they would've by now), I think that it's safe to say that Viz are being forced to put theirs on hold, as well.

#13 Flash Over

Flash Over

Moonie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

I've closed the thing, and apologized to Viz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor moon, viz, toei, blu-ray, HD, DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users